XM is Podcasting: Select shows now on iTunes
Tags: 2, XM
XM Satellite Radio is now available on iTunes. Not all of it of course (that would be silly), rather a select number of XM's original music, news and sports series are now available as free podcasts.
It's an interesting move because the traditionally the "satellite radio" moniker went hand-in-hand with "payment" - a majority of the content is meant to be hidden behind the walled garden. Of course, XM has been going against the grain with this concept, what with Bob Edwards and Opie & Anthony being made available on free terrestrial radio. Sirius has played the podcast game as well, but only by dipping the toe in with quick snippets.
But XM is leveraging what many believe to be one of its strongest assets: their original programming.
It's not just talk-radio like Opie & Anthony (though there's a bonus for O&A fans: animated video podcasts) and Bob Edwards, but James Carville, Luke Russert, Mike Krzyzewski, Barry Switzer and exclusive XM programs like "Artist Confidential" and the comedy special "Unmasked" have joined the fray.
"By making these original XM series available through xmradio.com, iTunes and other popular podcast web sites, millions more consumers have an opportunity to sample some of the best in premium music, news and sports programming that you can only get as an XM subscriber," said Eric Logan, XM executive vice president of programming.
Yes, of course podcasts can be accessed by other programs (like Odeo and iPodder), but XM has worked out a special section on Apple's iTunes just for their programming. .
Click the jump for a full rundown of what's now available for free, or check out xmradio.com/podcasts for more details.
XM's podcast offering includes:
- Bob Edwards Weekend - Hosted by veteran journalist and public radio personality Bob Edwards, this weekly sampler, which is created by XM and distributed by Public Radio International, features commentary and interviews from XM's award-winning exclusive weekday series, "The Bob Edwards Show."
- 60/20 Sports with James Carville and Luke Russert - Each week 60-something political guru James Carville puts on his sports cap and locks horns with 20-something Boston College student Luke Russert, as they interview guests and debate controversial topics and stories examining the culture of sports.
- XMSN This Morning with Coach Switzer - The legendary Switzer, who coached championship teams for the Oklahoma Sooners and Dallas Cowboys, joins XM Sports Nation (XMSN) anchor T.J. Rives to talk about the state of college football and the NFL, sizing up the biggest match-ups and the latest news surrounding the game.
- Basketball & Beyond with Coach K - Duke men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski and co-host Dave Sims talk in-depth about college basketball, featuring special guest interviews and Coach K's personal perspective on principles for life on and off the court.
- XM Weekly Music-XM's resident music experts host this new weekly podcast, featuring artist interviews, live performances and new music from popular XM music channels.
- XM Artist Confidential: Green Room - This new podcast takes listeners behind-the-scenes of XM's critically acclaimed performance/interviews series "Artist Confidential."
- Opie and Anthony Shorts - This new weekly video podcast uses animation to bring to life segments from Opie and Anthony's popular XM show.
- Unmasked - Composed of highlights from XM's original comedy series "Unmasked," this new video podcast features candid, one-on-one interviews with stand-up comedians and comedic talent for an uncensored look into their creative processes and the lives that shape their work.