XM subscribers backlash over O&A suspension

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 9:43 AM
Tags: 2, XM

Smashed XM radios
XM subscribers have been reportedly canceling their subscriptions ever since the announcement that Opie & Anthony were suspended mid-day yesterday. The hold times for customer service yesterday escalated from a 30 minute wait, to an 1.5 hour wait, according to those who were on hold to cancel.

People Against Censorship (PAC), a group formed in reaction to recent radio hosts firings, has organized support rallies outside of O&A's CBS studios everyday for the remainder of the week. PAC also has a list of items fans can do to support the show, including canceling of XM subscriptions. They encourage subscribers not to smash their radios, though some angry fans have already done so.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over this...

UPDATE: I'm just curious, how many people here have canceled or suspended their XM subscription?

TrackBack/Ping:

Comments

Crap they really should hire more then two reps to handle those 20 phone calls....


if a DJ falls in the forest with a 0.0 does anyone really care?

Seriously- good for them they should quit and show XM that they wont put up with this crap.

I love the fact that some of these guys smashed their radios. What's the point in that? Way to stick to the man, keep smashing those radios. The pests are some hardcore mofo's. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Keep smashing those radios you toolbags. That's the dumbest thing ever.

shhhhh pness. When XMs get smashed, Siriusi are next. Its only logical.

I can understand the backlash here! It's not even because of the original on-the-air event that they were suspended! It's because XM didn't think they were taking the whole matter seriously. Is that really worth suspending them over?

I have 4 subs. Will be cancelling 3. Hopefully I will be offered a free Sportster. (yech) The site is blowing up! Keep up the good work Ryan.

Wow this really is pathetic and shamefull.

Once again you OandA fans prove just how bright you are. Smashing your radios/cancelling subs giving more power to the FCC and NAB. If you just chill the fuck out and wait for this to blow over they will prob come back.

Funny that you morons didnt see the better company from the start. This is what I mean by poor managemt at xm.

You haters are not seeing the big picture. This is going to siginficantly impact the radio we listen too. This started with Imus who know's where it will end.

There is no big picture, you are not seeing the real picture. They were not fired for what they and the homeless man said about Condi, they were fired for mocking the apology they made. It pissed XM off and they suspened them for it. This has nothing to do with free speech, this has to do with a boss being pissed at their employees. They are the ones to blame, not XM. It's amazing that O&A fans can see that, they pissed XM off by mocking their apology, plain and simple.

Well, they haven't been fired, period, yet.

BenS - You are kind of missing the point about the apology. XM shouldn't have made them apologize to begin with.

I think O&A fans have a right to do whatever they want with regards to their subscriptions. If that means take the free time, cancel all together or burn your equipment (not sure I really understand why), that's their decision.

I believe they refer to this as the marketplace deciding.

the people over at wackbag are saying they are fired from xm.idiots are making gay vids destroing their radios in protest.

it's the best.

"shhhhh pness. When XMs get smashed, Siriusi are next. Its only logical."

Sirius will never be in this situation...Sirius would never run their company into the ground like xm is. XM guys need this merger more than sirius.

1) Howard is not stupid enough to put himself in this situation. IF HE DID he would go about it much wiser then IMUS or OandA

2) Of course no matter what decision a manager would make in a mess like this, consequences would be faced from different directions. Mel is a better business man and would not betray his loyal customers who have supported him and his company thus far. A better comprimise would have been made.

3)The fans of Sirius are not that selfish spoiled and pathetic that they would cancel subs and smash radios because stern left. They would be dissapointed but the fact is THE RADIO EXPERIENCE IS JUST BETTER THEN REGULAR RADIO.

so go back to terrestrial radio you fucking sell outs.

the most shocking thing of all is that anyone still listens to those unfunny washed-up has-beens

if a DJ falls in the forest with a 0.0 does anyone really care?

We get it. They have no listeners. For a show that doesn't have any listeners, it sure is getting a lot of attention these days (especially from the Howard fans).

It's called outrage over the way they've been treated by XM, and it's really the only thing the average listener can do to affect the situation. Maybe this situation will make the big corporations think twice before f*cking with the general public...

While personally I can't see destroying my radio (I'd like to make the money back if I could), I will be canceling my subscription when (or if) they announce that O&A are indeed terminated. I have an iPod and a CD player for music, thanks very much.

Ask yourself, 'sternfan', would you do the same if it was Howie in the same position? Would you be loyal to the brand that screwed over your favorite radio program?

Hey Sternfan...

Make sure you post your pics and vids after you burn your Sirius after when let go of Stern.

You're going to need a lot of gas to burn that dump truck-sized radio.

And then go eff your mother.

sternfan - I'm sure if Sirius canceled Howard tomorrow you wouldn't be upset with Sirius. I'm also sure that when Howard goes to the Hamptons for good at the end of his contract you will all stick around to listen to Bubba.

It must feel good to know that even with not being on XM today - more people listened to O&A than listened to Howard.

Ben S:
How did they mock their apology in the audio that is posted on Orbitcast?

I'm amazed that there are people who love a radio show enough to smash a radio worth at least a hundred dollars. Wow.

Dropping my 3 radios tonight until O and A back on air.

Ryan,

2 cancellations from me, and a buddy at work canceled his as well.

Ryan, I cancelled mine yesterday. I was on hold for 45 minutes. It sounded like chaos in the background.

Let's say 4000 people cancelled yesterday, which is the number that's being thrown around right now...

That's about 3/4 of a million dollars lost in one day in subscriptions.

In answer to Ryan's question about who canceled.

I canceled 1 radio and took 3 months free on my other one. I have been an XM subscriber since December 2001 so I didn't join for O&A but they have become a large amount of what I listen to. More than likely I will cancel the other sub after the baseball season.

Cancelled my two subs this morning.

dave, stop making sense.

I have to agree with a lot of what is being said here. I think it's stupid people want to smash their radios. Hell. I'm selling my airware off when I cancel. I'm not canceling just because of O and A, though that deffinetly is the last straw. Whether you are a stern fan or an op and ak fan, you have to realize that this just isn't good. I think howard will be next on some capacity. It's a shame this is going this way, but it'll give me more money to go buy a new mp3 player and I'll just start listening to internet radio a lot more. I grew up listening to both O and A and stern, and I'm impartial to the whole thing. for once, look at it as fans of sat radio, and not fans of competing shows!

Adam.

I have no idea how they mocked the apology. I don't see anything wrong with what they did. I'm a Stern fan, but I do not hate or dislike O&A, I've never heard them before yesterday in the clip on orbitcast. I'm just going by what XM said, "Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them."

They did this to themselves by not moving on. They pissed XM off by saying what they did.

Their comments on the 15th. Were hardly critical of XM the management. They've been talking about this issue since Imus. The comments they made were no different than anything else they've said about it. XM felt they needed to respond to the homeless issue, so they did.

Ryan - I cancelled all my three of my XM Radios. My wife never got into OnA, her radio is still active.

Cancelled my account yesterday. Flushed, now onto buying a sirius and fucking my mother.

"selfish and spoiled"? You sir, are the definition of an idiot.

I cancelled one of my three subs last night. to be fair, i had been meaning to do it since i upgraded to the inno but had not gotten around to it just yet. If O&A go I will probably be getting rid of my car sub and picking up an inno car kit for the small amount of time i spend in there.


I still got baseball...

and if by your accounts 5-6 million people joined sirius for howard, why would they stick around if he was cut?

try not to be hypocritical people

I have been a member of XM since 2001. I have five radios and have canceled all five of my subscriptions. I have not destroyed any of my radios but rather begun to either sell them or give them to family members/friends. I will not support a company that has decided the one true reason they exist (uncensored and unregulated content) no longer matters. I am Slacker bound now as XM's music is not worth the price of admission in my book. I think moves like this will only help make Slacker and other competitors that much more a formidable foe for Satellite Radio. This was an industry I believed in but now I believe they have begun to take the path to their eventual demise. Just to clarify I do not think losing Opie and Anthony is their end, but the fact that Satellite Radio is no longer the safe haven many people have believed in and people have subscribed for.

I think cancelling subscriptions is fine, but the guys who smashed their radios are idiots. What happens when/if O & A come back on? They have to go out and buy new radios and XM makes out. Pretty stupid. And I agree with Pete, sternfan should go eff his mother.

I joined just for Howard. If he was suspened or fired, I would still keep my sub. I've found that there's more to Sirius than Howard, like 100% commercial music. Something that no one else out there offers.

I hope O&A make it through this, it's so damn stupid. I don't see anything wrong with what they did, but XM did and that's all that matters.

I canceled mine this morning and a couple of my friends/relatives will be later today.

The only way HooHoo will wind up in a similar situation is if the Sirius board of directors finds some way to oust Melvin. As long as Melvin is in charge, Howie will never be fired.

Nobody in XM's upper management is going to stand up for the boys. Not E-Lo, and certainly not Panero. Not after flooding their inboxes with cock pictures and regularly mocking them on air.

XM won't stand behind the boys because that would just put them in line of fire to get shit on.

I joined Sirius just for Howard, if he was suspended or fired, I would not be cancelling my sub. I've found that there's more to Sirius than Howard, like 100& commercial free music, something no one else offers.

They totally mocked the apology. These egocentric clowns actually think that XM launched the sats, spent 100's of millions so they could they could do their frat boy skits with impunity. The whole dialog was about them even to the point of enlisting support from other jocks. Pathetic. I don't blame XM for suspending them or firing them. It't not about them or free speech. It's about a business enterprize making a profit and ROI for the shareholders. What they said originally was a total piss off to many non O&A fans. A contrite apology would have put it to bed, but when they came back with the pompus BS on day two it was over the top.

Ronman

Also...

Ryan, love you love your blog.

I'm waiting for an official announcement before I do anything. DugoutDoug may be close to the boys, but his word is not THE word.

I dropped my two XM subs. While I do like the music XM offers, I refuse to pay a dime to a spineless company that makes moves like that. I pay a monthly fee for a premium service that allegedly offers uncensored content. XM made it very clear with this move that they will make their service as politically correct as congress wants it to be for this merger to go through. I'm just not ok with that.

I'll consider resubscribing if XM ever grows a pair.

I cancelled.

If you're curious about numbers, there is a 500 post long (and growing rapidly) thread at Wackbag.com called Cancellation Roll Call. Each post is a Wackbag member who has cancelled, many with multiple subs.

Whether you like O&A or not is irrelevant to the issue at hand. The simple fact is that this sets a terrible and scary precedent for the satellite communications industry as a whole and is a slap in the face to everyone who was draw in by the promise of the free and unfettered broadcast of ideas and communications. Fan loyalties aside, this is a disgusting situation that needs to be taken seriously by everyone who is a proponent of freedom in broadcasting.

>> I've found that there's more to Sirius than Howard, like 100& commercial free music, something no one else offers. >>

Gee, I never hear commercials on my iPod. Do you?

This is so frustrating. Talk about phonies. Eric Logan, Pinero, Abrahms all appeared on the show. They knew what it was about.

I think a Class Action is in order, and I hope XM goes in the dumper.

lc

i'm not cancelling just yet. if O&A get fired, i'm gone. i'm also planning to jump to sirius if 202 gets watered-down b/c of XM's new zero-tolerance policy towards "uncensored" radio. i really like what i've heard from sirius' music stations via my dish network, so if 202 loses it's edge b/c of this, i won't have any reason to stick w/ XM.

I have cancelled my less than 6 month into 3 year pre-paid subscription.

gone. bye bye.

Hey Bens.

Do you remember when Stern was a champion of free speech? I'm sure he wouldn't let a petty radio war get under his skin would he and become a total hypocrite. No one needs your support, but if you look around its pretty serious for people not named Stern if you give two shits. He's not going to be around forever.

>>>>>Gee, I never hear commercials on my iPod. Do you?>>>>

I don't have to load my Stiletto with music either. The content is already there.

I cancelled

Cancelled my online service. Only regret is I don't have hardware to destroy in protest.

This is inexcusable on XM's part.

>> I don't have to load my Stiletto with music either. The content is already there. >>

Oh yeah that's some hard work there, putting music on my iPod. Phew!

The reason people are destroying their radios rather than sell them is that if they give it to someone or sell it, it will be reactivated and counted as a sub. Destroying it speaks volumes as far at XM's sub total is concerned.

Adam...if you look closely at the history of DJ's and suspensions, you'll see that suspension is only a precursor to firing. They are pretty much gone.

Let's they DO come back, hypothetically...XM will have effectively neutered them and the show will not be the same. There are other ways to listen to O and A without being a subscriber. No problem. XM picked the wrong battle to fight.

So WOW becomes OWW - Out of Work Wednesday

>>Oh yeah that's some hard work there, putting music on my iPod. Phew! >>

Didn't say it was hard. It's just nice not to have to load it up. Plus I can listen to the NFL during the season while I'm out and about.

Hey you Stern idiots: If we want "commercial-free" music, we'll switch back to our $0/month iPods.

I subscribed to XM for one and only one reason: Listening to Opie and Anthony. If XM doesn't think my subscription is worth it, I'll "suspend" it until Opie and Anthony are back on the air.

(I don't get the "burning my radio" thing, either. It's much better to flush it down the toilet, F**K my mother, and GET SIRIUS, right? At least, that's what Dragon Wagon learned...)

I personally canned 3 subs yesterday, took 4.5 hours to cancel, was hung up on while on hold 12 times.

Haven't cancelled yet, but am still considering cancelling at least one of my two radios. Unfortunately, I like a lot of the other stuff XM has to offer...Baseball, hockey, Fox Sports Radio, great music channels. I'm definitely doing the emailing and calling thing, though trying to keep it as civil and explitive-free as possible. I realize the fans are pissed, but telling management to go fuck themselves isn't going to get us anywhere...Hopefully, other Pests are being firm, yet not crossing the line and making us all look like assholes.

The destroying of radios is a really stupid thing to do as mentioned already...First, if O&A come back, you'll have to buy a new unit if you want to hear them. If they do get fired, sell the radio on eBay or Craigslist...No sense smashing it.

Even if I cancel XM, I can't see myself jumping over to Sirius. Other than the NFL and Blue Collar Comedy Channels, they have nothing I'd want. I've heard their music channels on Dish Network, and in my opinion, they suck compared to XM. Boneyard is better than Hair Nation or any of Sirius's other hard rock channels...Squizz beats Octane hands down...Liquid Metal has a better playlist than Hard Attack, though I wish they'd get rid of Coolguy...XM's country channels are far better...I think the main thing for me is the deeper playlists on most of XM's channels, not including the "hits" channels, which are designed to be repetitive.

QUOTE: "Let's say 4000 people cancelled yesterday, which is the number that's being thrown around right now... That's about 3/4 of a million dollars lost in one day in subscriptions."

======================================================

To put it into perspective: 4,000 cancelations is only $552k in subscriber revenue per year, not $750k. Calculated as 4,000 x ARPU of $11.34 x 12 months = $544k in annual subscriber revenue.

If you think that $544k is a lot, consider that Xm is on track for total revenue of $1.1 billion in 2007. Even if 100,000 subscriptions are lost, youre talking about them losing only $13.6 million in subscriber revenue. (100,000 x 11.34 x 12 = $13.6 million)

$13.6 million is only 1.2% of the total revenue for the year. And thats assuming that 100,000 subscribers quit, which is a huge and likely immensely bloated figure.

I hate to say this, I like O and A, but if you think that this is going to hurt the company financially, then that is a very naive belief.

Haven't cancelled yet, but am still considering cancelling at least one of my two radios. Unfortunately, I like a lot of the other stuff XM has to offer...Baseball, hockey, Fox Sports Radio, great music channels. I'm definitely doing the emailing and calling thing, though trying to keep it as civil and explitive-free as possible. I realize the fans are pissed, but telling management to go fuck themselves isn't going to get us anywhere...Hopefully, other Pests are being firm, yet not crossing the line and making us all look like assholes.

The destroying of radios is a really stupid thing to do as mentioned already...First, if O&A come back, you'll have to buy a new unit if you want to hear them. If they do get fired, sell the radio on eBay or Craigslist...No sense smashing it.

Even if I cancel XM, I can't see myself jumping over to Sirius. Other than the NFL and Blue Collar Comedy Channels, they have nothing I'd want. I've heard their music channels on Dish Network, and in my opinion, they suck compared to XM. Boneyard is better than Hair Nation or any of Sirius's other hard rock channels...Squizz beats Octane hands down...Liquid Metal has a better playlist than Hard Attack, though I wish they'd get rid of Coolguy...XM's country channels are far better...I think the main thing for me is the deeper playlists on most of XM's channels, not including the "hits" channels, which are designed to be repetitive.

I'm not cancelling any of my subs until I find out whether or not they've been fired.

Cancelled today, been a very loyal xm fan before O&A even came on board, its a sad day for me.

I called XM around 4 PM yesterday threating to cancel...The lady offered me 3 free months of service on my two radios. I told her make it 6 and you have a deal...She said 4 and we compromised on 5 months of free service on my 2 radios...HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS!! There Wallets! Now I have XM service until October 18th 2007

After waiting on hold for about 30 minutes yesterday I was finally able to get through and cancel my XM account. They tried to offer me 2 months of free service which I declined.

>> I hate to say this, I like O and A, but if you think that this is going to hurt the company financially, then that is a very naive belief. >>

500k is still 500k - that's undoubtedly going to make a few waves, the least of which may be some layoffs.

And I guarantee it's going to be more than 4000 subs lost.

While I don't listen to O&A I find it sad that XM is now following in the footsteps of traditional radio.
I subscribed to XM so I would not have to deal with censorship or suspensions of what may be perceived as crossing the lines. Isn't that why they hired O&A?
When will XM cancel the comedy channels? Those comedians say some really outrageous things ;-)
I have been a subscriber of XM since 2001.

I think there's a difference between not letting someone speak publicly, and suspending a bunch of immature shock-radio-jocks who constantly push the limit of what is and isn't tasteless.

If I own a radio station and one of my employees says something offensive, it's my prerogative to fire them. That has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Let Opie and Anthony get their own radio station.

I am in favor of the service cancellations though... pay radio is stupid in the first place. Ask yourself, have you realized you're paying money so someone can say the word f*ck. Isn't it time to grow up?

You lay down with dogs, you get fleas.

Anyway, if they are true O&A fans, why not just unsubscribe for 30 days and then come back to listen to their pied pippers!?

I waited on hold for 45 minutes. Then I canceled. No O&A, no more money from this 4 year XM subscriber. XM's actions are completely unacceptable.

You haters are not seeing the big picture. This is going to siginficantly impact the radio we listen too. This started with Imus who know's where it will end.

God look at me trying to talk to retard zombies like they are people.

They got suspended (and will be fired) because of they might hurt the merger. PERIOD! Its all about $$$$$

I suspended my account for 30 days and I plan on cancelling if they aren't returned to the air by then. I figure if I cancel then I have nothing left to hold over their heads if they fire O and A.

Brian Smith: "Anyway, if they are true O&A fans, why not just unsubscribe for 30 days and then come back to listen to their pied pippers!?"

You do realize the people are cancelling and not just taking the free months as part of a statement. If O&A return, the subscribers may return. Just 'taking the bait', won't do a whole lot.

I suspended my account for 30 days and made it quite clear that I will be calling back in a month to cancel if Opie and Anthony aren't back. I don't see how cancelling gives me any leverage if Opie and Anthony are fired. If not as many people suspend/cancel their accounts as they think, then they can fire the boys without repercussions. At least now I can be part of a 2nd wave of mass cancelations if/when the boys are fired.

"but the fact that Satellite Radio is no longer the safe haven many people have believed in and people have subscribed for."

Just wait for the merger to go through. Then they wont have to take anyone serious. It was just a bad time and to save face in the world of responisible corporate mngment they had to do it.

as to the comment I made about xm fans being selfish and spoiled I was merely reflecting your PREMATURE actions to this situtaion. And how you just cant understand the fact that they have a responsiblity right now in the face of media. also 75 percent of the posts on this thread are how you all cancelled ur subs.....who fucken cares. Your acting like little girls. Like a sirius fan said before, they would be dissapointed if stern left, but see teh bigger picture of better quality radio.

I cancelled my subscription as soon as I got home yesterday, suspending sends no message to XM and taking the offered 1-6months of free service does even less

canceled my sub...

She offered me 6 free months...

I canceled my account last night, however, I didn't smash my radio due to the possibility of them being back. The rep I spoke to assured me that they will be back on june 15th, but that was probably part of a damage control script. He said he was a fan of the show, so I told him to go support www.peopleagainstcensorship.org and he said he's already signed up and has been telling people about the site all day long. I saw a post on FBA last night where someone said they canceled their 7 personal subscriptions and the 22 radios he had set up for his business account.

You just wait and see. Stern is going to get canned. But first, he's going to follow O&A and go back to Free Shit FM. You just wait. O&A will always win in the end.

I honestly feel bad for O&A but it makes me oh so happy seeing you girls get all awnry and sad and upset. I bet O&A would have more support if not for you fucking idiot scrubby pests, some excluded(like petey. even though he won't admit it, I think he really might see the big pic).

i cancelled

I picked XM (over Sirius) because of O&A. I've been a subscriber for three years... and I just cancelled. I haven't destroyed my receiver - I might resub if O&A come back. But, for the time being, XM can "go screw".

Your mom's box.

Stern killed XM and Testicle Radio.

Cancelled mine this morning, at 01:05 pm Eastern, there were 580 cancellations listed on whackbag

I am suspending my subscription for 30 days.. or something like that, I'll see what XM offers me to stay.

Why am I doing this? Cause O&A are on a pay service that can be blocked. There is no reason for this crap flying around now.

Cancelled yesterday 5/15. Took 40 minutes to get it done, was offered 3 free months but declined.

After being a loyal XM subscriber since Jan 05, I canceled 2 hours after the announcement was made. I refuse to pay for a service that sensors content that I pay for. I believe that the only way XM will understand my point of view is to spend my money elsewhere.

People say those who smashed their radios are idiots. I smashed my radio because I will NEVER subscribe to XM again. Only an idiot can't see the statement being made by smashing the radios.

Canceled my sub last night. Not just because I'm an OnA fan, but because I signed up for uncensored content. Granted, I ONLY signed up because of OnA, but on top of the amendment issues which are being ignored, the SOUND QUALITY of the music channels is absolutely HORRIBLE ! Personally, I think that anyone subscribing to either Satellite company in hopes of having hight quality audio fidelity flow through their home gear, is delusional and also being cheated.

IF the sound quality was decent (how about at LEAST 192 Kbps, but yes..that's unrealistic given the bandwidth restrictions), then I wouldn't have considered XM for just the TALK radio content. If I had signed up for music only, perhaps I might feel differently, but then again.... perhaps not. This isn't an issue of caring or not caring because of what I listen to. It's about free speech, and XM supporting their employees. Period.

So now, we can have all the black stations spew hate speech about whitey, and all the special interest groups will simply fade away into the night, until their agenda's are called upon, again.

Also, let's not forget that I WAS PAYING to hear content which individuals had the ability to BLOCK (XL) if they found it offensive. So thanks XM, but I don't need you to baby sit me. I'm a grown man who can watch himself. I don't need you or my local government telling me what I should and should not find entertaining, amusing or educational.

And I certainly hope that you clowns are ready for what may happen when Slacker comes to town. I hope that you are acquired by Sirius, and both entities are flushed down the toilet.

Go screw, XM.

> Sirius will never be in this situation...Sirius would never run their company into the ground like xm is. XM guys need this merger more than sirius.

Hahahahahaha, $2.70 per share Sirius has less to gain than $10+ per share XM? Brilliant!

you guys are being dicks.

how do you think ron and fez feel

that you wont be listning to them.

i'm sure they have feelings also.

>>> I hate to say this, I like O and A, but if you think that this is going to hurt the company financially, then that is a very naive belief.

Totally agree. Insignificant. And who knows how many subs XM will PICK UP because of the publicity and support of that portion of the public who doesn't support the shock jock format.

Smart move by XM for a number of reasons. I like O&A but can do without them for 30 days.

I canceled my subscription.

Dave: "Sirius will never be in this situation...Sirius would never run their company into the ground like xm is. XM guys need this merger more than sirius."

i like how your comment saying xm needs sirius is right next to the stock quotes xmsr just over 10.60 and siri just under 2.70

So, how is Sirius immune to the behavior of XM management if the two companies are trying merge? This merger ISN'T a buy out by Sirius, believe it or not both companies need the merger to survive. (Despite what both companies try to feed their listeners) That means some of those same managers that decided that O&A were wrong to complain about their employers could be working with Stern and Co. very soon. Pull your heads out of ground and try to understand what is going on... this merger like many company mergers is driving the decisions made by both Sirius and XM. It may not be Stern right away or ever but expect changes.

I signed up for XM in October '04, having never heard of O&A. I read an article about them, and decided to pay the extra premium fee to check out the show. I was instantly hooked, and added 3 more radios, all of which are tuned to 202 more than 95% of the time.

Well, the 5% of other programing I enjoyed from XM isn't enough to keep paying for 4 subscriptions, so I cancelled all four. If o&A come back, I will too.

Two less subs here- Canceled yesterday around 7pm effective immediately.

If XM doesnt handle your cancellation call in a reasonable amount of time, just call your credit card company and issue a stop payment - any credit card company will do this for you as long as you made a reasonable attempt to contact the payee.

tomorrow will be 2 years to the day i bought my sirius.
and if during the show tomrrow stern gets up says hes burned out and walks out the door i will still be with sirius because i bought the whole package.not just one person.and remember it was xm that has the balls to hire greg and tony and you cancel because they had a spine.its hard to defend someone when they bitch for a month about how this is the end then they do a bit like that. its like they are asking to be fired.

we-were-told-to-cancel-service.
service bad , fire good.

Two questions for all you O&A fans. When did "joking" and laughing about the violent rape of women become something that XM should allow on their company's spectrum?

Is that something you really want to defend?

OA were offered a chance to apologize and they thumbed their noses at XM management. Its not O&A's company. If you guys support the laughing at rape, then maybe XM is better off if you just cancel.

If they've already charged you a yearly fee, do they refund you a prorated amount?

o and A should come to sirius now......haha

hey cdestey please answer:

you think XM is doing a better job running their company?

If the merger doesnt go through who in the end will survive if any? or maybe you feel both?

Just opinion but I wanted to know your views...I dont think stock prices have anything to do with what I was talkin about.

0.0 0.0 0.0 LOLOLOLOLOLOL

STERN IS #1

KING OF ALL MEDIA!!!!!!!!!1!

OPIE & DOPEY

ACNE & AINTFUNNY

I'M SO CLEVER!!!

Just wait Stern zombies, they are coming for him next. You don't support the cause now, there will be nobody left when it's your turn.

And O&A still have more listeners just on FreeFM than Hoo Hoo does on SIRI. The truth hurts, doesn't it boys?

0.0. This is so funny. O&A are done, washed up, so over. Soon CBS will be changing formats and it will be all over.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I did not speak out;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

-Martin Niemoller

"And O&A still have more listeners just on FreeFM than Hoo Hoo does on SIRI. "

you know that link you provided with proof really works for me i belive you now...


i've seen their ratings and 1.3 in new york would be about 200k...and that was their best market?

You don't really believe any of that bullshit do you, leader_of_the_retards aka ramone?

People were outraged at Bubba's comments last week and he still has his job. He doesn't have nearly as much name recognition as O&A or stern. Why's he still have a job?

As for more "listeners", HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Why do you think a free audience is relevant to anyone but someone desperately grasping at a silver lining in the midst of their misery? I know only pirates get to hear for free what I pay for. THAT's truth is the one that should hurt you.

when they come for howard he will say thank you and go back to playing chess.

if greg and tony were brave they would of told XM to take that appology and cram it up their ass.

>> Totally agree. Insignificant. And who knows how many subs XM will PICK UP because of the publicity and support of that portion of the public who doesn't support the shock jock format. >>

Umm, merger? Stern? HELLO.

>> i've seen their ratings and 1.3 in new york would be about 200k...and that was their best market? >>

Did it occur to you that most of their fans were listening via satellite? Personally, I have no clue how these ratings are collected - I've never been a part of any sort of survey, poll or statistics-gathering exercise that would even allow me to state that I listen to their program...

I cancelled my radio subscription yesterday for my Pioneer inno.

My cancellation will be permanent unless the suspension is reversed. Even if they do come back, I will not be re-activating my account if the suspension lasts the full 30 days.

I have also been contacting XM sponsors that I use to inform them I will no longer be using their products until the suspension is reversed.

I canceled 2 sbus today.

canceled my 4 subscriptions this morning.

i had sirius for over a yr. i switched to xm 8mo. ago the reason is the music and mlb. if stern left sirius they would have nothing but an ipod stuck repeating the same 50 songs over and over and over and fm hack djs. xm might survive this (though proly not the sirius buyout) because of the passionate and dedicated music staff....i have learned that not many people care about inspired music programming anymore. which is why i will give up on satrad a service i was once very proud to be subscribed to....i will check out slacker when the handheld comes out this summer and get my content from the web....so long satellite....we hardly new ya!

canceled mine

id rather listen to FREE FM!

>>Hahahahahaha, $2.70 per share Sirius has less to gain than $10+ per share XM? Brilliant!

Now that is REALLY Brilliant!! It's not the price of the stock you DOLT (like that, a norton word) it's the price of the stock multiplied by the number of shares outstanding, which is called MARKET CAP.
XM's Market Cap is $3.24 Billion
and Sirius' Market Cap is $3.96 Billion

or in simple terms for you Sirius is worth $720,000,000 or 22% MORE than XM

I just want to thank Ryan for reporting things like this.

I cant get myself to call. I love O&A, and will support them till the day i die if need be. But i wont be getting Sirius, or an iPod. And love XM's content.

But yes, XM SUCKS FOR THIS! Way to cave in. Blaming the merger. If both services go out of business id be happier than if the merged company actually happens, which it wont.

I linked to your article from my blog post Opie and Anthony - First they came for the Jews

Is HBO next?

I swear i didnt copy that from you bernie, it just came to me when i was reading some of these comments.

good blog entry though

Schim,

You just pointed out why Bubba still has his job. Far less name recognition.

People need to keep in mind that a large portion of this whole censorship fallout starting with the Imus incident is directly related to the increase of yellow journalism in the United States through all forms of news media.

The bigger the name, the better the scandal. This latest Opie & Anthony case has been one of the clearest in terms of viewing online, print, and televised journalists at their worst; knowingly producing factual errors and editorializing their supposedly objective stories in typical smear campaign fashion.

Essentially many journalists who feel that they are liberal, also feel that it is their civic duty to come out against minority racism and misogyny regardless of context.

Whether or not they are intelligent enough to understand that their efforts are misguided and in the kindest of terms a 'mob mentality' (or 'group think' if you like) is another story altogether.

Switch to Sirius!!

HEY NOW! For those of you that destroyed your XM radios, head over to http://shop.sirius.com and get yourself a Sirius radio.

I have only one thing to say....

ZERO POINT ZERO

stern wins again. he would never be fired by sirius. I cant believe people are stupid enough to smash their radios because they were suspended for 30 days. Just more proof that pests are idiots.

>>I have only one thing to say.... >>

Sorry but it should be *two* things - the second being, "I am an idiot"

Anyway, well said Thrawn. I'm not often surprised by the jackals who sit behind the desks of the cable news networks anymore, but the inaccuracies & the blind assumptions related to this story are just stunning.

And I just have to laugh every time I see Mancow's stupid face show up on one of these news programs. All I can think of is the story Danny Bonaduce told on O&A about kicking his ass in a parking garage, and how he tried to physically hide behind his girlfriend to avoid it.

Thrawn,

good points. There are a ton of people who still today don't really have any idea what was said. The initial outraged article I saw with the minor correction afterwards about how she didn't know the homeless guy was really not on the payroll but she didn't care, really annoyed the shit out of me. I couldn't find her email address anywhere to tell her how much of an irresponsible cunt she was.

What I meant was, considering that Bubba is somewhere on the name recognition scale between Elvis&whoever and O&A, the fact that he didn't get fired may say something about how they responded to it. They've been spitting fire since Imus got canned about this stuff. It seems like a matter of time that they'd get burned.

I will be canceling one of my three subs by the end of the week. Will cancel a 2nd when they 6 month prepaid (free radio with 6 month sign-up) period is up. I have been an XM subscriber since close to the beginning.

I subscribe to both services (not for Stern!) and ordered a second Sirius unit last night to replace the XM one I will be canceling this week.

Should O&A get fired after their 30 days, I will completely dump XM. My main complaint is that XM management did nothing about the "rape" segment until two days later. It wasn't until the clip got on the internet that the media found out and only after the media blew it out of proportion did XM management call O&A on the carpet. This is shades of Sex for Sam...it was the third year in a row that they did Sex for Sam, but the station mgmt. acted like it was the first time they had heard of such a thing after the St. Pat's incident.

First it's for making a joke on April Fool's Day (Boston mayor is dead)...then it was Sex for Sam #3 and now this? None of these are that big of a deal (OK...sex in a church was kind of a big deal. Yet, those conservative blow-hard racist bigots on talk radio (Neil Boorsh, Rush, Bill O'Reilly, et al) get away with things like wishing someone would assassinates Barack Obama.

Cancelled subscription.

Can't wait to see this exact same story/thread with Opie and Anthony replaced with Howard Stern.

Cancelled subscription.

Can't wait to see this exact same story/thread with Opie and Anthony replaced with Howard Stern.

Sorry but it should be *two* things - the second being, "I am an idiot"

HAHA Pete, keep the zingers coming!

I'll say it again!

ZERO POINT ZERO...

>> I'll say it again! >>

ZING - and you're *still* an idiot!

I canceled three subscriptions and wrote to numerous XM execs explaining why. The CR rep tried to talk me into a free month of service for staying, but no go. I don't want to support a company that baits and switches. If I want to listen to censored radio, I can do it for free on regular radio.

If this truly does turn out to be a 30 day suspension, and not a prequel for firing, I am not sure that I would want to get my subscriptions back. I doubt that the "uncensored" part of the show would be the same. If O&A have to watch what they say, then I would rather stick with the free version on FM.

Cancelled my subb yesterday. I'll be more than happy to turn it back on if and when O&A return. And to all the haters out there, didja notice that your old pal Bubba Clem has been in a bit of hot water of late? Think Sirius wouldn't dump him in a heartbeat if they thought it was best for the merger?

I suspended my service. 2 radios. O&A are the reason I bought into XM and they are the reason I'll leave. If they get fired I'll be cancelling the sub.

I really hate to do it. I really like my XM...alot. But it's the only way I can be heard or make a difference. I don't have a special interest group behind me.

Shock Jocks vs. Conservative Radio Hosts

It all plays out for some reason. Why are shock jocks getting blame for stuff they are getting paid to say? Again, I don't like any shock jock, but I like neocons even less.

Everyday Rush Limbaugh gets away with this stuff like "Barack the Magic Negro" or other stuff like insulting Michael J Fox. I'll be damned surprised to find a single neocon's radio show be fined.

Yet, those two are just joking around about raping, and neoconservative's radio shows are getting away with everything.

Where's the fine line?

Canceled three accounts this morning 5/16. Took 40 minutes on hold to get through.

Cancelled my 2 subscriptions today...

I don't see what all the hub bub is about.
I mean, Condi, and Laura should feel flattered someone is fantasizing about them?
All us women want is to feel needed and wanted.

:-D

FRRRRRRUNKIS!


did you see the stock of sirius today? it hit an all time low.

"Sirius will never be in this situation...Sirius would never run their company into the ground like xm is. XM guys need this merger more than sirius.

1) Howard is not stupid enough to put himself in this situation. IF HE DID he would go about it much wiser then IMUS or OandA

2) Of course no matter what decision a manager would make in a mess like this, consequences would be faced from different directions. Mel is a better business man and would not betray his loyal customers who have supported him and his company thus far. A better comprimise would have been made.

3)The fans of Sirius are not that selfish spoiled and pathetic that they would cancel subs and smash radios because stern left. They would be dissapointed but the fact is THE RADIO EXPERIENCE IS JUST BETTER THEN REGULAR RADIO.

so go back to terrestrial radio you fucking sell outs."

Ryan,

From a good source, there have been about 20K subs lost in the last 2 days.

$3,108,000 in subs lost.

First of all for all of you Howard Stern supporters, he HAS been in this situation before and he HAS appologized like a good little girl. Secondly, Sirius has just as bad a managment - how could they possibly think that having Stern will generate half a billion dollars (plus their G&A and profit) in revenue.

As far as the suspension, I am afraid to say it, but they are getting canned. Not because of what they said, or that they weren't taking it too seriously but because XM and Sirius need to cut over head. Plain and simple. Their contracts probably had a huge buyout if they were terminated for convienence but not if they were terminated on behalf of their own actions.

As much as I hate sirius and that $hit stabber Howard (ho-ho robin), I don't think this will ever happen to him. Sirius was probably too eager to get Howard that their contract is heavily in his favor. So even if he does do something to get fired he probably gets to keep his salary and there is NO WAY siruis (or the new Joint Venture) can afford that - so they will HAVE to back him up - otherwise, the company as a whole goes under.

I cancelled 5 subscriptions because of the suspension.

I have objected for years that my subscription goes to paying those two jerks the big bucks. I think XM needs to realize there are a lot of people that pay for the music, not the overpriced DJ that have nothing intelligent to say. I will fight the merger until they offer a subscription that does not include the overpriced DJ's

I cancelled my 2 subs yesterday

OK, it isn't hard to tell which employees of XM are posting. Smashing your radios is a small price to pay as an example to set for the disgusting display of corporate power and lack of vision. The sick thing is ... XM boasts NOTHING IS CENSORED>... apparently not. This is the thing... some corporate sensibilities were offended. They suspended our radio guys... we are all fighting back... lets see how good the XM stock is in a few more days...

>Ryan,

>From a good source, there have been about 20K subs >lost in the last 2 days.

>$3,108,000 in subs lost.

UPDATE: the total posted before was for yesterday only. Some websites are speculating anywhere between 35-40K subs have been cancelled....

Including mine.

I cancelled 3 subscriptions because of the suspension. XM has forgotten the reason why they exist.

And if and when O&A do come back to XM, they can't possibly enjoy the same freedom of speech they had prior to this lunacy.

You people who think Howard Stern is not next on the list is in serious denial. All it takes is one dumb thing to happen and a special intrest group breathing down sirus' neck. Personally it suck that o&a are not on XM anymore but we still have Free FM.

The upside is more Ron and Fez on XM202!

I do like the O&A show. One could say that I am an Uberfan. I listen via the car, web and on my Motorola Q at work using a program called XstreamXM. I take seriously 'freedom of speech' that is why I chose XM as an alternative to traditional radio. I am not mad or upset. This was bound to happen at some point. Actually, I think their show on CBS; Free-FM is better and not so hate-filled.

The upside of this situation is more Ron & Fez on Channel 202. I always thought that they deserved more air-time on that channel.


People should cancel xm over this. Jocks being suspended on a explicit channel that can be blocked. You might as well put them on a regular channel if you want to control what they can say. This is going to be a big victory for free fm.

I canceled my 2 subs. XM does not deserve my money.

Al D, are you really that dumb? First off, please tell us how much Opie and Anthony are making since you apparently have their contract sitting right in front of you. Oh...you don't? Since you only want to listen to music, why didn't you bring up any other non-music station on XM besides 202? What about CNN? What about Oprah? MLB?

"OMGZ I will fight the merger until I get a subscription plan that doesn't have the Philadelpha traffic since I don't live there...Rabble rabble rabble"

I have 4 trucks on the road, as of today all 4 lost XM untill the boys come back....RAAAAAMONE bring XM a set of balls!!!

I cancelled today. When they are back, I'll be back; wherever that is.

Conservative estimates are that 27,000 subscriptions were cancelled on the 15th, and likely many more on the 16th. Advertisers have already pulled off of XM 202. This is a DISASTER for XM. But then again, when you sabotage your own show and demonstrate yourselves as liars to your own customers, don't you deserve all of this?

I canceled a total of 23 subs for my fleet of trucks this afternoon, and another 6 of my own. A dozen of my employees have already suggested getting docks for ipods in the truck and I can get them for well below what they go for in stores or even on ebay. I will not support XM any longer.

I just cnx my account. The guy on the line said they had a lot of accounts to cnx. This Nazi crap has got to stop.

I will be flushing my XM down the toilet, buying a SIRIUS, and fucking my mother.

I Can Not believe the Stern Fans, for a Couple of Reasons:
1-How can you STOMACH that Narcissist, Lying, Spinning, Over-Rated Douche?!??!?
2-Can't See the BIG OVERALL Picture. This is all simply another way that Special Interest Groups are getting to Corporations that WE PAY FOR to Sprite their own agenda.
I Guess Howie said "It'll be Fine, cause I have my Hook-Nosed Face COMPLETELY LODGED in Mels Rectum!
I Don't get it.
Stern Fans are just a Lifeless, Following, Ageing, Cluster of Haggard SHEEP.
DIE!

Yeah 20 calls, Only took me 2 days to cancel my Radios. Fools. More listeners then Stern has, With or without XM

Well for those who are suspending for a month,
Why not do this, take $22 and purchase 2 shares of XM stock.. Or whatever amount you can and want to afford.
Then you can speak at the shareholders meeting and also you can add to your letters and calls that you are an XM stockholder.

Just food for thought.
I called and ranted, I took the 5 months they offered me for my 5 accounts.

Look, canceling is a way to make our voice heard; its the only way XM will know how many are angry. Once O&A are back on we can reactivate the subs and refuse to pay the activation fee - they won't charge you if you refuse and if you do it online it is free anyways.

Destroying the units is extreme but it also prevents people from getting cheap units on ebay and signing up.

XM angered a lot of people and this is the only way for them to be heard.

smashing your radio cause 2 smucks got suspended lol!um i guess u don't like the commercial free music which is the main selling point of sattelite radio,
not opie and anthony! u spend 50 to 200 dollars to buy one and smash it cause 2 jocks that make prob 2 million a year each get suspended lol! why not just load up a gun and blow yourself away while your at it!
what idiots1 LMFAO!!!!

Why do you people still talk about freedom of speech? O&A were suspended for mocking the apology that they were forced to make. Yes, there should have been no reason to apologize, but xm felt they needed to do it. XM fucked up, now they have opened the door for people (Al, Jessie, ect.)to go after satellite radio. I also read a bunch of posts of how Howard is next. You people need to understand that Howard can say whatever he wants and do whatever he wants because Sirius knows what would/will happen when they lose him.

I cancelled, as did my ex-girlfriend, my brother and my sister in law.

Inno subscription...goooooooone as of yesterday morning. Not on hold. Not free 30 days. Goooooooone. Also returning equipment purchased last weekend to install tuner in wife's car.

2 fresh cancellations from me. Hope XM gets the message, they offered all sorts of stuff but I said to just cancel me.

Cancelled my account yesterday.

Remember... Cancel, don't take their 30 day credit offer, the shareholders need to see members walking.

I canceled my subscription two days ago and you know what? I should have done it a while ago.

I get O&A for free in the mornings my entire drive to work, and there's a pretty alternative rock station where I live. Add my Ipod in the car and I have all I need. For free. Thanks for making me realize this XM!

I've emailed and called XM repeatedly to tell them that I'm CANCELLING ALL THREE OF MY SUBS *UNLESS* THEY *FIRE* O&A instead of MERELY SUSPENDING them. Suspension is a joke. And after Imus, it sends the message that IF YOU DIS BLACKS, YOU'RE FIRED. IF YOU DIS WOMEN, YOU'RE SUSPENDED. Because we all know women are less important.

Laughing at someone joking that they're going to RAPE a woman they don't like is the equivalent of laughing at someone joking that they're going to LYNCH an African-American they don't like.

You don't laugh at a joke like that, you give it a stony silence. Ask any standup comic. Laughter is affirmative. It validates the joke. It says, You're AWFUl, but it's okay, we still like you. Stony silence says, We DON'T like you. And you'd better get your butt off that stage.

If you don't see the bigotry in O&A's laughter, you must be male, and so blinded by the power that has surrounded you your entire life that you don't even know how obtuse and entitled you are.

That's why all you rabid radio smashers aren't just a bunch of idiots. You're also a bunch of bigots.

I canceled one of my three radios and I canceled my entire company account which we were using as our music on hold service.

That's why all you rabid radio smashers aren't just a bunch of idiots. You're also a bunch of bigots.

Posted by: JMB | May 17, 2007 02:00 PM
-----------------------------

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Nice that you don't get the basic premise of why everyone is pissed off. Who is the bigot now.

i cancelled my sub. the woman offered me 30 days free while they were suspended, i told her no, it was political, i'd pay to re-enstate my account if they do come back. fuck censorship

I'm upset with the O&A show for being irresponsible. To me, it's obvious that XM isn't going to approve of everything that could be said on the air. I think the talent must also represent the company--and to that, lines can be crossed.

The thing that I dont get is why a lot of people are talking about censorship. nothing was censored on the air, RIGHT? It seems like most are ignoring the real issue because they are upset with XM. To me it just seems like O&A are stubborn and will not be controlled, and I sort of think they let us down.

My XM channel rarely has changed from 202. I think most of the time the O&A show is brilliant. They are awesome, and right now I'm left upset with both XM and O&A.

XM made them apologize.. they did. Why isn't that enough? Because they didn't take it seriously? Of course they won't.. they don't want to be controlled. They want the "freedom" to entertain in whatever way they feel is necessary. I'm not saying I think everything they do is great. But when I dont like it, I change the channel. However, I always will go back. Now I can't, and because I don't think this suspension (firing) was justified... I really don't feel like listening to XM.

I would cancel my subscription, but I'm actually ripping XM off, and I like it.
I had one radio, for the regular $12.99 rate. Then I got a second radio on the family plan for $6.99 a month.
I cancelled the first radio, and I'm only paying the family plan rate of $6.99 for the second, single radio!
So I would cancel, but I'd much rather get the product for nearly half the price.

You may be right...maybe some of the listeners are racist. MOST peoplem are racist in one form or another. Does that mean that they have no rights? Do we withhold people's rights because of their beliefs? You sir, are a Turd-burgler.

>And after Imus, it sends the message that IF YOU DIS BLACKS, YOU'RE FIRED. IF YOU DIS WOMEN, YOU'RE SUSPENDED. Because we all know women are less important.
Posted by: JMB | May 17, 2007 02:00 PM

Uh, let's see...
Rutgers women's basketball team = women, who are black.
Condoleeza Rice = woman, who is black.

Could we at least have an honest arguement?

Just cancelled my account with 4 radios on it, and I have had that account since 2003.
No one can tell me what I think is funny.

Cancelled my sub today after two days of 2+ hour waits. Still have service. Will follow up every day until I'm sure it isn't counted as a sub. I heard they are keeping them active for free to keep sub numbers up.

Folks, you're being a little short sighted here. First off, if everyone canceled their subscription, the company itself would quickly cease to exist leaving no one "to take a stand".

Second, if you're upset, listen to the other 100+ channels they offer instead. I can't believe you bought multiple subscriptions JUST to listen to O&A. Were you that upset with the other content before the O&A suspension that this ONE incident triggered enough outrage to throw out your entire subscription. I have 2 Sirius subs myself. Yes, I spend some time every week listening to Howard Stern, but I also listen to The Coffee House, CNN, Fox News, Iceberg, Area 33, etc.

The point is that if HS started caving to the FCC I'd be a little irked but I'd probably just stop listening to his show. Smashing 300.00 worth of hardware does ME no good, and killing off one of the few companies where relatively unregulated free speech has a chance is ridiculous.

I cancelled my 2 Subs with XM. XM operators couldn't apologize to me enough. My service is still active and I keep calling to have it turned off. The main reason I purchased my XM was for O&A. I will only turn it back on when O&A are back on, and XM apologizes to O&A (lil) Jimmy too, and to US THE O&A FAITHFUL listeners for not sticking behind them. If nobody thinks it won't hurt XM by cancelling, think again. Big companies want money. Think about how quick they are to send you a bill for service. F Howie, Mel, and the Poodle company. O&A ALLLLLLL THE WAYYYYYYY.

This just shows you how crappy XM and Clear Channel Radio are. Go with Sirius! There shouldn't be a merger if XM is going to make Sirius do the same in the future if shit comes up...

Cancelled both of my subs, and for anyone thinking this is an indecncy issue, it isn't. For everyone thinking "This'll never happen to Stern." You're right. This has all been orchestrated by Mel Karmizan to get rid of O&A before the big merger.

You friggin morons saying "oh Stern's next" are idiots. Howard is not a stupid asshole that says retarded things that get him suspended! DEAL WITH IT.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa O&E are suspended, waaaaaaaaaa.

Morons.

You people are going to feel pretty stupid if this O and A are put back on the air.
What if the unsubscribes work? What if they change their mind? Oh crap! no more way to listen without shelling out more money. You've now just improved XM's bottom line by A LOT.

Then again, if they aren't put back on ... well.. okay then. Pretty big gamble if you ask me. Can you hack a XM box to work on sirius? That'd be a kick in the pants if you ask me..

I agree with John. Stern won't be suspended. When was the last time he said ANYTHING risky? 1992?

I canceled 4 subs Thursday. It would have been earlier, but I couldn't get through. I did insist on getting my cancellation backdated, though.

Cancelled 5 subscriptions. They can't have my money.

Quoted: "When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I did not speak out;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

-Martin Niemoller"

OK, I've gotta comment on this. Let me make this clear: I'm an O&A fan and a bigger Ron & Fez fan, and I support O&A and think that an allegedly "uncensored" service like XM was completely out of line to do what they did. If O&A are not back at the end of the 30 days, I am cancelling all of my subscriptions, and am never coming back.

However, did the person who posted the Neimoller quote (which is apocryphal, btw, but that's neither here nor there) actually intend to compare the travails of a couple of radio jocks to the systematic murder of millions and millions of innocent people? People who post this sort of stuff really need to learn what real Nazis are. XM's actions were stupid, shortsighted, oppressive, and hopefully they will come back to bite them in the backside hard sooner rather than later. That doesn't mean we start comparing them to Hitler, Himmler and Goebbels and expect people to take us seriously.

Zero, Point, Zero.

That's the difference between Stern and these two hacks. These two get suspended and likely canned and the company loses thousands of listeners. If Stern were to get canned, the company would lose -millions-.

I say it again. Zero, Point, Zero.

former XM subscribers are smashing
their radios en mass in protest of Opie & Anthony's suspension..

im a ex-XM sub in Belfast, ireland and i made this video compilation..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NuB6YVBjcg

I was on XM before OandA got there. I have not canceled because I simply cannot tolerate commercial radio. However, the day that Slacker releases their portable player, I will be gone.

The CNN images of XM radios being crushed by a large vehicle tire, made me lol!
In the brief glimpse I saw, it looked like the radios were all obsolete models anyway. For sure, didn't see any innos being sacrificed.....

O&A shouldn't have had to Apologize for what they did or say. Being told to then Not talk about it, is also Censoring them. The Show is Advertised as UNCUT and UNCENSORED. It's on a PAID for service and on a XL channel which can be blocked at any time which XM advertises about all the time!!!

Why not XM just get rid of ALL of the XL channels? I hear far worse for example on 150 the Adult Comedy channel. I'm sure quite a few people have canceled there accounts with XM over this and many wore will when XM announce that O&A have been fired. Not only that but at least 4 Advertisers have also canceled their ads over O&A being suspended. (At least some buessness stand up!!!) 30 days in the Radio business not being on Air isn't a good thing. Who that has been Suspended on Radio not be fired? (More then 2-3 days!) They all end up fired. XM is just hoping things will cool off before they announce it.

Why have it end with RADIO. Why not boot off shows like the Soprano's from HBO? Same Thing! Why can't people just turn the channel if they don't like it? Get thicker skin. If O&A come back, that's a big IF, it will just be a neutered Show. Yet more lists of things that they can't do on a supposedly uncut and Uncensored show. It won't be the same, which is why people are destroying there XM Radio's. Why pay for a Censored show? Why sell or give the Unit away to someone else to Join up and help support a Censored Service.

Also Canceling XM and Joining Sirius, what does that do? If the Merger goes though, you've done nothing. Your still supporting XM, or whatever it'll be in the end. I'll miss a few other things on XM as a long time Subscriber, but I'm not going to PAY to be CENSORED to. I can get that from Regular Radio. Even then on Regular Radio, IMUS and other's shouldn't have been fired either.

Some of you just don't care that our freedoms are slowing disappearing all in the name of Protecting the Children, or Terrorists. Where does it end?

Last night's Simpsons was spot on....they hit the nail on the head. The rant about Ned emailing people he's never met to try to join a pointless crusade to ruin the career of someone who accidentally insulted others while trying to do nothing more than entertain people...or something to that effect...just brilliant :)

I lived without Satellite radio for over 40 years. I'm not going to pay for XM if it's going to be censored. I can get the censored crap for free! Really has nothing to do with whether or not I like Opie & Anthony on XM or Howard Stern on Sirius or any other particular show.
I won't smash my radio because It's built into my vehicle's stereo system so I'll just un-subscribe. I really don't care if O&A returns because that isn't the point.

I just don't need satellite radio if the subscribers aren't considered.

I lived without Satellite radio for over 40 years. I'm not going to pay for XM if it's going to be censored. I can get the censored crap for free! Really has nothing to do with whether or not I like Opie & Anthony on XM or Howard Stern on Sirius or any other particular show.
I won't smash my radio because It's built into my vehicle's stereo system so I'll just un-subscribe. I really don't care if O&A returns because that isn't the point.

I just don't need satellite radio if the subscribers aren't considered.

every troll "pest" post,i just see this guy

the face of O&A
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ltlApFBjd2A

trust me this vid NEVER gets old!!!!!!!!

Post a comment

(or continue the conversation in the Orbitcast Forums)


Recent Entries

From the Forums...
Search Orbitcast:

Recent Readers
Latest Poll
Technology & Media Blogs
These are blogs that relate to technology, media or other specific industries, but not soley on satrad.
Sponsored Links





Copyright © 2008 Orbitcast Media, LLC.